Monday, December 15, 2014

The Criterion Challenge

Being a film buff and all, it's kind of a wonder why I haven't thought of doing this challenge before. I mean, I do keep track of "best movies of all time" lists and try and watch as many movies from that list as I can, been doing that for well over ten years now, but I never made a "challenge" out of it. Why not start now? Just for fun, of course!

I'm calling this The Criterion Challenge.


In case some of you don't know how amazing The Criterion Collection is, they are a USA video-distribution company that's dedicated to gathering and publishing the greatest films from around the world. What makes Criterion particularly unique is that they restore even the oldest and most classic  films to the most modern films so beautifully. Their DVD's have a treasure trove of bonus features, and in most of their releases, it includes booklets (very thick ones at that, including essays, interviews, and more!) and other supplemental features that enhances the understanding and appreciation of the film. Some even include in the package the book that the movie is based off of!

How cool is that? Yes, I'm such a dork for really being turned on by that, but hey, what can I say? I love it! For this super-duper fun challenge, I'm going to try and watch 100 Criterion DVD's in 2015. I'll be watching 10 of their DVD's a month. Excessive, maybe, but do-able!


I'm going to try and rent each DVD in the order of Criterion's entire library here.

See how they have over 800 films in their library in all? Maybe one day I'll get there! Luckily, my library has probably most of their titles, so nabbing these beauties will be easy and convenient. For each month of 2015, I will list the 10 movies that I'll be watching from that list, the ones that the library carries. The ones that aren't available, I'll still give it a shout out. After I watch each movie, I'll write up a short and sweet review of my general feelings about it. The movies that I highlight with a star next to it will mean that the film(s) was my absolute favorite from the list. :)

Who wants to join me on this challenge by trying to watch down the list, pick their favorites of the month, and review/recommend on their blog/page too? Remember, just for fun, not competition!

If you do, feel free to comment below or Tweet "I'll be joining @FoxxyGlamKitty for #TheCriterionChallenge!" to let me know! This is going to be really fun, I just know it!

Vanessa 

No comments:

Post a Comment