Thursday, January 8, 2015

LGBT Movie Review: Date and Switch


My LGBT movie of the afternoon was: Date and Switch (2013)

Synopsis:

High school seniors Michael and Matty have been best friends since 3rd grade. Still virgins, they make a pact to help each other "score" before Senior Prom - but their mission suddenly takes an unexpected turn when Matty announces that he's gay.

My review:

So the movie really is as obnoxious as it sounds, BUT...it's surprisingly funny as hell, and not at all offensive as I was almost coming to expect. Michael and Matty are typical high school kids/childhood friends. Their "bromance" is absolutely believable. I was rooting for them as much as I was rooting for them potentially finding what they're looking for in the dating field. Being that this is a romantic comedy, nothing about this movie is too deep, but it still somehow manages to be poignant with the coming out story. It realistically shows how hard it can be for a friend to come to grips with their friend being gay, and how hard it is for that gay person to transition from one world to another. Of course it's very over the top, but I was laughing so hard, and I was pleasantly surprised. The movie takes the gay stereotypes, pokes fun at them, and then completely hits home with how contrary those stereotypes are. There are a few celebrity cameos in this, and there were so many comical scenes that totally worked in its context. The love stories also work on a comedy level but also on a more serious level too. I won't give too much else away, but all I'll say that THIS movie does have a happy ending, and it will leave you all warm and fuzzy. I was not expecting to love this film, but my goodness...this was HILARIOUS, wonderfully ridiculous, and FUN -- a must-see!


No comments:

Post a Comment