Saturday, September 19, 2015

Björk Marathon: The Remixes - Vespertine


Vespertine is still my most favorite Björk album. It's her magnum opus. Even Björk herself felt that this album represented the prime of he career, where she felt like she reached the highest peak that she could possibly reach and where she achieved all that she wanted to express in her music at the time. It's the most sensual, emotional, introvert, quiet, and internal album that she has ever done. The remixes are a stunner. Unfortunately, the singles are only 3, and the remixes are few. But for the Vespertine remixes, it's truly quality over quantity, so here they are, the crème de la crème:

Hidden Place (A Capella) 


This is breathtaking. Technically, it's not a capella since the choir and the instruments are still present, but here it feels a tad bit stripped down, so you hear Björk's voice more clearly. Stunning. 

Hidden Place (Hearts & Bones) 


Remixed by: Matmos

Matmos are virtuosos of their craft - the attention to the quirky details of sound are incredible. It's no wonder that she got them to be collaborators on the album and had "Hidden Place" remixed by them. 

Pagan Poetry (Matthew Herbert Handshake Mix) 


Remixed by: Matthew Herbert

Of all the remixes from Vespertine, this one is my favorite. The passion here is overwhelming. 

Aurora (Opiate Version)


This is heavenly. 

Cocoon (Retangled by Ensemble) 


Remixed by: Ensemble

"Cocoon" is Björk's most sexually explicit song to date (next to "Pagan Poetry" of course). This remix feels more...like a universe of its own kind, really. It just takes you away... 

Sun in my Mouth (Recomposed by Ensemble) 


Remixed by: Ensemble

"Sun in my Mouth" is based off of the e.e. cummings poem "I Will Wade Out." I'm partial to the album version, but this remix is mutual/equal to its beauty. I think e.e. cummings would be proud.  

Aurora (Music Box)


The title is self-explanatory. It's short, but oh so sweet. 

Pagan Poetry (Music Box)


This is actually "Aurora," but titled "Pagan Poetry" for this remix. Seriously, it was genius of Björk to have music boxes custom made for her to be made of acrylic glass instead of traditional wood. She wanted it to sound "as hard as possible, like it was frozen." It works, and it's truly a beauty. 

And lastly, It's In Our Hands. It was released in vicinity with Greatest Hits and Family Tree. I'm not a huge fan of this single admittedly, but this remix...I dig it. Not sure why. It's just good!


All the remixes that I shared and LOVE, that's basically ALL of the Vespertine remixes. What can I say? I love them all!


2 comments:

  1. I think I like the stripped-down version of "Hidden Place" the best of these remixes. And that is so cool that she had her music boxes custom made. They do sound like ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I love "Hidden Place" stripped down versus the original that was heavier on the beats. I read that originally the music box company thought that she was CRAZY for wanting them customed in glass but later on they admitted that it was the best thing they've ever done, hehe.

      Delete