Saturday, January 16, 2016

There's A Starman Waiting In The Sky...

I've said this before, but I mean it every time -

Thank you.

So many people have emailed, private messaged, and phoned me this past week, expressing condolences since most know how much David Bowie meant to me. Many have said when they first heard the news, they thought of me. That touched me.

Thank you.

In David Bowie's passing, which rocked the world in such an impactful way that it's not so easy to heal and move on so quick and easily, I've not only bonded with so many people on here, but it seems like I've made some new friends and connections along the way. You know who you are.
Most of us didn't know David Bowie personally. We didn't have to. We live in a day and age where many people are so quick to shame those who're mourning for a beloved icon. They don't care about the artist, and yet for some reason, they care about those who're mourning, and want to be "cool" by being "different" by shaming them - us - for something as natural, and as human and beautiful, as having empathy and care for someone that they didn't know, but they loved. It's OKAY to still cry, to still feel grief and sadness for one man's death that wasn't so kind. But - what a dignified way he left this world, being able to have his privacy, to keep his illness a secret, and to live to see his first musical, the unique and wonderful Lazarus, and to see his last album, Blackstar, his farewell masterpiece, and knowing how successful both projects were before his impending death. He even thought and hoped that he could live for a few more months to see a Blackstar follow up, but unfortunately, he didn't. But how inspiring, how courageous, that he believed that he could make it, to live to see through to that vision. Now, he's at peace, and I'd like to think he's even more at peace because of this. Through the pain, we can heal, and it's his music, the countless number of insightful and heartwarming interviews from his friends and colleagues, and us just being kinder and nicer to one another, that will make us not only feel better, but be better.

Thank you all for making that easier.

Any of you can message me anytime to talk about Bowie, and naturally, throughout the upcoming days and weeks, I'll continue sharing my favorite Bowie interviews, music videos, songs, performances, and docs on my Facebook page, as time goes by.

David Bowie - we love you. Thank you for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment