Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Sweetest Thing


A complete stranger told me the sweetest thing tonight.

I saw that she needed help putting her groceries in her car, so I helped her while she was telling me about how bad her knees are and that she didn't want to be in a wheelchair ever again. After I put her groceries in her car, she said "Thank you" and looked me straight in the eyes. With so much tenderness, she gently said "I don't know if you are a boy or a girl, but that's what I like about you. You are very different. Please, do not change for anybody."

That blew me away. Negativity rules our world. Most people would sooner be mean and have forgotten how good it feels to be nice. It really does take guts to be gentle and kind these days. I couldn't believe that this person that I do not know, who does not know me either, said something like that. And with such warmth, kindness, and conviction too?

It's every day that people look at me with wonder and confusion, words not spoken, just a look, stare, or raised brow. When somebody in rare occasions does have something to say about the way I look, their words aren't kind. But it is not every day that this happens. This was actually the first time.
I couldn't help it, but when I went back in my car, I wiped tears from my eyes, because that woman truly touched me. That moment in time between us was short, but she created a memory that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment