Saturday, June 25, 2016

Stonewall: A National Monument, At Last!

My first time at Stonewall was coincidentally on the same day that Obama declared it as a national monument!

I had no idea about that until when I made it there, there were reporters everywhere, and one of them asked me "How do you feel about Stonewall being the new national monument?"

I couldn't believe it, and when another reporter asked me a similar question, that was when it hit me that Stonewall made history, again. And when I was overhearing some folks from that generation talking about Stonewall then to the Stonewall now, that was what moved me to tears and made it all so real.

It's been a long time coming, but at last, it happened for Stonewall and for us - the LGBT community! But most importantly, for all the people that fought for the change that happened today, and for all the people we lost in Orlando.

To get to peace, hell comes first. But at the end, we triumph over hate and evil.













No comments:

Post a Comment